[Tagging] religous bias - Feature Proposal - Voting - (Chapel of rest)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 16:13:18 UTC 2020

On Sat, 7 Nov 2020 at 14:26, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I note that "visitation room" is a term that describes "A room designated
> in the funeral home for the deceased to lie before the funeral so that
> people can view the deceased."

I hadn't come across the term in the UK, but that could be because I
have little interest in that sort of thing.

Conveniently, it carries no religious connotation.

It's funny you should say that. :)  Meaning 3 given in
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/visitation is "An encounter with supernatural
beings such as ghosts or aliens."  Meaning 5 is "A punishment or
blessing ordained by God."

It also has the problem that it has "room" in the name but is
intended to be applied to a building which may have several
such rooms.

And then there is the fact that the emphasis is on those
attending to view the corpse even though in some cases
there are no attendees.  I'd go with "place to view
corpses" since the corpse is pretty much guaranteed to
be there even if nobody comes to look at it.

--
Paul