[Tagging] Basic cartography features missing, why?

Anders Torger anders at torger.se
Sat Nov 7 18:32:45 UTC 2020

Sorry for replying to myself again, but I realized the link I shared was
not a true example, although the maps I linked to are built to look
similar to vector data they are delivered as png tiles, and least on my
computer (some services switch automatically between pixel/vector).

This link (of another Swedish provider) should lead to a true vector map
(which runs superduperslow on my old computer):

https://www.hitta.se/kartan!~59.39246,17.88950,10z/tr!i=COl8SQsO

It's using the same government data source as the eniro website, but
unfortunately this one only has Sweden, not Norway and Finland.

Interestingly enough it has another type of label algorithm that works
worse than the old pixel map in rural areas (ie you need to zoom more
than usual to see names). However this vector technology and
presentation is very newly introduced so I expect it to be refined over
the coming years. Personally I prefer the pixel renderings still as
vector is a bit slow on many computers. But it's the future....