[Tagging] Basic cartography features missing, why?

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 12:41:50 UTC 2020

2020-11-08, sk, 12:31 Anders Torger rašė:
> To me it seems like an odd "political" design decision to have a
> separate database though. Why just not arrange the database in layers,
> and this could be a separate layer? From a technical perspective I
> suppose it wouldn't have to be layers as such, one layer could in
> actuality be a tag filter.

  It must be separate enough to:
  * not allow reusing objects from "main" database
  * to have different description on what is allowed in it (for
example allowing objects borders of which cannot be precisely defined
etc.)

  In general it is an advantage that the main database does not have
layers. In "standard GIS" layers separate data thus we can get bus
stops in the lake or on the building, road going into the lake etc. In
OSM it is much easier to spot such problems (and fix them) because it
is only one layer.

--
Tomas