[Tagging] Basic cartography features missing, why?

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 19:34:42 UTC 2020

2020-11-08, sk, 19:54 Joseph Eisenberg rašė:
> The reason is that at mid zoom levels there is far too much data
> in the database for it all to be made available in a vector tile
> format so that the map is fully customizable.

  Unless we will do a real generalisation which would mean we will
start doing cartography! Which is where all this thread started ;-)

  As for open source software stack. The only feature which is missing
is to cache layers separately (where "layer" is buildings, water,
landuse, places, could be two different versions of say landuse etc.)
and then combine them dynamically to final vector tile pbf on the fly
depending on the request. With postgis introducing vector tile
generation on the database side I think we will not have to wait long
for a lot of vector tile servers to pop-up.
  Client side: mapbox has done almost nothing with regards to
cartography in the last two years (and is still lacking support for
non abstract patterns, so things like wetlands look like crap), but
harpgl is gaining and you can always use openlayers which would be not
as sexy (fast), but for example you would have high quality text
(compared to webgl text).