[Tagging] Basic cartography features missing, why?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Nov 9 08:30:04 UTC 2020

Nov 8, 2020, 17:44 by jayandseth at gmail.com:

>>> And there should be several specialized layers: general car navigation map, sport map for hiking/cycling/skiing, transportation. All of that would be possible with vector tiles which are less computationally demanding to create.
>>>
>> We already have multiple map styles.
>>

> What they mean is that the current map styles run by other providers will not be necessary if we switch to vector tiles.

(1) Only if all people will agree what and how should be included in vector tiles.
Due to conflicts between quality and tile size and performance on client and different
needs unification is simply impossible and will not happen and should not be expected to
happen

For example: hiking trails map vs pipeline map vs focus on small tile size - all of that
have completely different needs.

(2) This is nitpicking, but remember that big benefit of vector tiles is that you can have own
map style allowing some (limited, not full) changes how map is rendered.

So number of map styles would increase, not reduce as vector tiles are more widely available.

And vector tiles served from OSMF servers would not mean that commercial hosting by
companies would become unnecessary - if you meant that by
"current map styles run by other providers will not be necessary"