[Tagging] Basic cartography features missing, why?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 09:08:42 UTC 2020

Am Mo., 9. Nov. 2020 um 09:37 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org>:

> In short: technically CC0 may be used, but it would be confusing as ODBL
> would still
> apply anyway.
>
> See https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Licence_Compatibility#CC0
>
> "CC0 licenced material is in general compatible, however the license only
> extends
> to material the licensor actually has rights in and specifically avoids
> making a
> statement on the status of any third party material included."
>
> So you could license this as CC0, but it does not mean that other
> limitations are
> not applying (limited extraction of just some shapes from OpenStreetMap may
> be doable without triggering ODBL - see
>
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Community_Guidelines/Substantial_-_Guideline
> but such project would likely quickly pass it).

For the avoidance of doubt, there is currently no data from OpenStreetMap
in OpenGeographyRegions, and there will not be in the future, so that the
data can be used without limitations. My intention is using it together
with OSM data, but of course you can use it with whichever data you want.

These regions, although it would be legally possible, should not be
imported in OSM either, because they are in medium and large scale
resolution and not suitable by their nature (not well defined on small
scales, fuzzy boundaries, etc.).

Cheers
Martin