[Tagging] Deprecate water=pond?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 07:48:57 UTC 2020

The problem is that natural and artificial are not neatly separated IRL. In Nederland, nature is neatly cut, shaven and shaped. Currently, natural style is preferred. "New nature" is the hype, where heavy machinery creates new landscapes including ponds, lakes, streams and wetlands. Sea dykes are shaped like dunes. Etc. So every pond is made to look natural, and every lake is reshaped and maintained.

We have words for pond ("vijver") and lake ("meer") but very loosely defined, and many more terms for other bodies of water.

I think a clearcut definition would not help at all in this case.

Peter Elderson