[Tagging] Deprecate water=pond?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 15:48:05 UTC 2020

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 15:02, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If the consensus is to go with a limnological definition - I think that's
> fine.  Let's lay out the limnological description of "pond" and "lake" and
> let mappers sort out edge cases based on their best interpretation of the
> definitions provided.

I would be happy with that.  However, there may be unknown cases as well
as edge cases - the mapper just doesn't have enough information at the
time of mapping.  In such cases I'd support the wiki stating "Make your
best guess and if new information comes along the tagging can be
edited."

>   That's no different than the wetland= tag in which there are lots of
> edge cases in the real world that are not quite one or the other.  I assume
> there will be cases where "such and such pond" is properly tagged
> water=lake and vice versa, but that's fine if there's a definition to stand
> on.

I suspect there will be more ponds named "something lake" than vice-versa.
Property developers have been alleged to rename ponds as lakes just to
make their development seem more attractive.

--
Paul