[Tagging] Deprecate water=pond?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Nov 12 00:05:23 UTC 2020

On 10.11.2020 10:56, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 05:26, Joseph Eisenberg
> <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the best option is to deprecate water=pond and suggest using water=lake for
>> natural lakes, even small ones, and use water=reservoir or water=basin (or
>> landuse=reservoir or =basin if you prefer) for the artificial ones.
>
> I have a pond in my garden. I could, if I had a mind to and a decent
> run up, jump over it. Not by any stretch of the imagination is it a
> lake, reservoir or basin.

Joseph, the world is too diverse to press every object into a rigid category, and to find sharp
definition boundaries. We need to let categories overlap.

Andy's garden pond is a good example. Everybody agrees that it's a pond, but when we have larger
objects, the boundaries begin to blur, until we reach an object where everybody agrees that it is
not a pond at all, it must be a lake.

Thus the objects will be mapped according to the subjective perception, but statistically objects
like Andy's garden feature end on the pond side of the scale and the Werbellinsee on the lake side.

It's like trying to define a temperature value for 'hot' and 'cold':
For every human -10°C is cold and 45°C is hot, but at 20°C some go in a T-Shirt while others look
for the woolen jumper.

Against deprecation of 'pond'.

tom