[Tagging] Deprecate water=pond?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 12:37:58 UTC 2020

Am Do., 12. Nov. 2020 um 02:33 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> Ok, it looks like enough people feel that a very small artificial water
> body, like a decorative pond in a residential garden, shouldn't be tagged
> as water=reservoir or water=basin, so we need a replacement.
>
> The current problem with water=pond is that many are completely natural
> features, but almost all other values of water=* are clearly natural (or
> semi-natural), or clearly artificial, so water=pond is losing this
> information which otherwise should be conveyed by the key water=*.

water=lake does not tell you about it being "natural" or not either. I am
not sure what the term "natural" means. If a woman makes a depression in
the terrain, and it automatically fills up with (surface or ground) water
because of the geological conditions, is this "natural" or not? What about
a woman sealing the terrain and conducting water to a place where there
wasn't a water body before?

This is a flooded open pit mine, is it "natural" or not, and if not, what
would be the osm tag for it? water=lake, natural=no?
https://www.lmbv.de/files/LMBV/Fotos/Nachrichten/Archivierte%20Nachrichtenfotos/LMBV_1616.jpg

What about a lake without water (drained)? Is "lake" a term that can only
be used for water bodies, or are dry lakes ok? Example:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/41.9975/13.5625 (everything "yellow"
is a lake / former lake (actually third largest lake in Italy):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucine_Lake

> - water=fountain
> - water=fishpond

-1 to "fishpond". It is not defined in the wiki, and is discouraged as
likely a mistake: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water (and I
agree it is not good). You can have fish in many kinds of water bodies, I
just recently started to add fish=yes to fountains when there are fish
inside.

> And as mentioned before, there are water=reservoir (A reservoir
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir> or an artificial lake is used
> to store water. )

what about artificial lakes that are not for storing water?

Cheers
Martin