[Tagging] Tagging Cycle Route Relations vs. Ways

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 17 02:18:11 UTC 2020

On 16/11/2020 16:17, Seth Deegan wrote:

> The Cycle Routes Wiki Page
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cycle_routes#Tagging_cycle_route_networks>
> states:
>
>     "It is preferred to tag the cycle routes using relations instead
>     of tagging the ways."
>
> If I come across a route that has the Ways already tagged with the
> name <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name>=* of the route,
> can I delete the name
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name>=*s in the Ways and just
> create a Route Relation with the name?

Be careful. This is where many contributors get confused. The name of
the *path* is often not the name of the *route*. A route relation can, &
often does, go along paths with different names. Multiple routes can go
along a path.

> I assume this is not prefered because a number of applications use the
> names in the Ways themselves and not the Route Relation, most notably
> osm-carto.

It renders the names of the paths, not the routes.

> However, some benefits of doing this might be:
>
>   * Takes up less space in the DB
>   * More tags that apply to the whole coute could be added to the
>     Relation like surface
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface>=* and source
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source>=* (like the
>     official map of the route).

Surface has no place in a route relation as it refers diectly to the
path, not the multiple relations passing along it. Similar for the
source tag.

DaveF