[Tagging] Tagging Cycle Route Relations vs. Ways

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Nov 17 04:25:43 UTC 2020

On Nov 16, 2020, at 7:09 PM, Seth Deegan <jayandseth at gmail.com> wrote:
> May I ask why not source=*? I know it's basically depreciated, but many times I find myself wondering where past mappers got the info for a route (this happened just today). I would find it very helpful. It also doesn't require the tagging of all of the ways.

The source=* tag is largely deprecated by use of changeset comments indicating the source of elements in that changeset.  Because every element in the OSM database (whether a node, way, closed way or relation) is associated with the changeset in which it was written to the database, it is easy to get from one to the other.  Much UI in OSM that indicates either a database identifying number (again, of node, way or relation) or a changeset identifying number will easily map (logically, from the database) from one to the other.  This also allows the “chain of history” and “datum version number” to happen.  JOSM’s “Get Info” show one-for-the-other, OSM’s web display allows you to “go from” one to another (click a changeset, get displayed the data associated with it, click a datum, get displayed the changeset associated with it), many tools in OSM make these associations easy.  OSM is a database, after all.  It’s good when we can leverage that with sensible methods.  Moving source=* to the changeset comment does this, in addition to encouraging sensible limiting of vast, many-data changesets to contain a limited (ideally, a single) source of those data.

SteveA