[Tagging] Tagging Cycle Route Relations vs. Ways

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Nov 17 05:20:41 UTC 2020

On Nov 16, 2020, at 9:00 PM, Seth Deegan <jayandseth at gmail.com> wrote:
> And of course, I have got this response before. But now that I think about it, the limiting factors seem to be:
> 	• Editors (I use iD primarily) do not allow you to easily see the exact past history of an element.

OSM is not its software editors, they are merely tools for manipulating OSM's data, the software editors are not the underlying data themselves.  If a tool doesn’t do what you need it to do, either find or develop another one (or method) that does, or file a ticket (defect report) with the original tool, if you really believe it should provide the functionality you seem to be missing.  If those seem to frustrate, there are good places to look (wiki…) and ask (talk pages…) for more direct help from people who might already know how to do what you’d like to do.

> Nor does osm.org really (why does it give a list of changed elements and map area and not even allow you to see what tags and elements' geography are changed!?).

I’m not quite sure of what your exact complaint is here, but if what you mean by “osm.org” is our website, then my reply would be that it does an OK job of this:  click the History button to get a recent-around-here list of 20 edits (click the Load More button for 20 more…and again and again if you like).  Clicking on one specific changeset will “drill down” to the specific data elements changed in that changeset (to the degree they can be displayed in a narrow column on a web page, though there are numbered “pages” you can scroll through for copious amounts of data).  These are grouped by data type (nodes, ways and relations), which in turn can have their “history” displayed, by “version number.”  It’s basic, workaday metadata, but it’s quite useful and user-friendly, requiring no more complicated skill than to click-navigate on a web page.

> OSMcha only does it on a per-changeset basis. https://osmhv.openstreetmap.de/ does this perfectly.
> 	• What if the source is in a changeset 2+ changesets ago? I shouldn't have to look back in the history to find a source.

Yes, sometimes you should.  I’ve been bitten quite a few times by assuming that the most recent author listed in a changeset is responsible for changing a particular datum IN that changeset, but actually, it was somebody else further back in history.  So, now I am much more careful to find out the REAL “most recent author of that particular datum,” meaning I DO have to go back two or even more versions to find out who that is.  (Then, of course, I politely contact them and ask “WTF WERE YOU THINKING?!” — um, I mean, “Hm, may I ask how you came about your edit on this particular element of OSM?”)

Good dialog here.

SteveA