[Tagging] Tagging Cycle Route Relations vs. Ways

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 17 15:32:40 UTC 2020

On 17/11/2020 03:09, Seth Deegan wrote:
> May I ask why not source=*?

TBH. I'm not a fan of the tag. I don't think it adds much value. It's
too subjective/variable, but...

It relates to the individual contributor editing individual objects. A
contributor can obtain data from many different sources within each
changeset. Pushing the tag to the changeset meta data invalidates it's
limited usefulness when added to individual objects.

>  many times I find myself wondering where past mappers got the info
> for a route (this happened just today).

Anecdotal guesstimate: For cycle route - on the ground via signage for
the vast majority. I've found published data (from the authority
authorised to amend the route) are often too inaccurate, out of date or
lacking in detail to warrant transferring to OSM.

DaveF