[Tagging] Tagging Cycle Route Relations vs. Ways

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Wed Nov 18 12:02:01 UTC 2020

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:09:40AM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Am Di., 17. Nov. 2020 um 20:04 Uhr schrieb stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com
> >:
>
> > I never said to NOT use source=* tags, they are correctly used on an
> > individual datum if / as it might diverge from a greater set of data that
> > otherwise has another source.  In short, if ALL of the data are from a
> > single source, use a changeset comment to note this.  If not, source=* tags
> > are appropriate.
> >

> I find the source tags in general problematic, most of all those "source"=*
> tags which do not relate to a specific tag. It may make sense for the
> creator of the object to add it, but what if someone changes something.
> E.g. you add a tag, or remove a tag, or change a value. What would you do
> with an existing source tag? Easy if you base your edit on the same source,
> otherwise, would you have to remove it? How much do you have to change in
> order to remove it? Or should you always be adding more values to the
> existing source string without ever removing anything, until you reach 255
> characters and then continue in a source2-tag?

We have tags like source:name and source:outline for more specific
tagging. And I have yet to see a source=one;two;three... which is
very long.

> From a practical point of view, I am mostly ignoring source tags, because
> they are almost never accurate. Typically someone has added them some
> versions ago and nobody in between has bothered to remove or update the
> tag. To know this, you will have to dive into the object history anyway.

Then  you are part of the problem :-) It is very annoying when the
source tag is accurate until someone, nearly always an armchair mapper,
who comes along and changes things without updating the source tag.

Let's encourage people to use the source tag properly rather than cause
further decay. Or come up with a better solution, which is definitely
not a changeset comment.

ael