[Tagging] coastline v. water

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 20:31:25 UTC 2020

Chesapeake Bay, as the name “Bay” suggests, is a bay at the edge of the
Atlantic Ocean. It is a shallow estuary, similar to many othe partially
enclosed margins seas, e.g. the Salish Sea (including Puget Sound) in
Washington/British Columbia, San Francisco Bay in California, the Tampa Bay
in Florida, etc.

It has always been the standard to map these bays as part of the marine
environment by using the natural=coastline to include them as part of the
marginal sea.

Consider that the natural=coastline is defined as representing the mean
high water springs line, that is, the line of the highest tides. If the
line on an open ocean beach is at the high tide line, it makes sense that
all tidal bays and estuaries should also be included in the area outside of
the coastline.

While there is some debate about where on the Potomac River we should put
the line (I would suggest around DC, where the river widens out), there is
no doubt that Chesapeake Bay is part of the marine environment.

— Joseph Eisenberg