[Tagging] lanes - is "parking allowed" a parking lane?

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Fri Nov 20 13:03:45 UTC 2020

You stated how you would tag that, which I'd summarize as

 > Any parking on the street surface is subtracted from the lanes as the
 > lanes-tag first and foremost indicates the number of usable lanes, not
 > the number of marked lanes

Ok, so apparently there is no consensus on that if there are marked
lanes, it's always the marked lanes that first and foremost should be
counted.

But let's not fall in the trap that everybody states how he tags it and
in the end we can agree that we cannot agree. We have a problem to
solve, let's identify it and find a solution together. I'd say, the core
of it is:

How to tag if usable lanes deviate from marked lanes?

And the solution we are aiming at should fulfill at least these criteria:

1. that the street layout can be interpreted correctly and completely
    (for data visualization, f.e. JOSM lanes plugin, abstreet, renderers
     ...)
2. that the effective usable width of the street for car traffic can be
    ascertained (for routers)

---

The criteria above were already in my head when I wrote the second half
of my intial post: When do usable lanes deviate from marked lanes?
-> When there are cars not parking in an own dedicated parking lane but
just at one side of the street. Hence, this example:

https://westnordost.de/misc/parallel_parking_lane.png

If these situations are tagged like this...

(1)
lanes = 2
parking:lane:right = parallel
parking:lane:right:parallel = lane

(2)
lanes = 2
parking:lane:right = parallel
parking:lane:right:parallel = on_street

..., both criteria are fulfilled, given the definition for lanes is:
"if marked, number of marked lanes. Dedicated and marked parking lanes
don't count" (adding "dedicated and marked" to wiki definition).

For visualization, the lanes tag can then be directly used. Routers will
want to additionally look at the parking lanes tag to see whether the
effectively usable road is being narrowed by parking lanes with
on_street or half_on_kerb and subtract that from the usable width.

I further suggested this solution because of its separation of concerns:
Lanes is then just the marked lanes, no need to factor in possible
parking lanes into that one tag and estimate whether the parking cars
subtract enough of lane space to decrease it by one.

So, the definition of parking lanes go into the parking:lane tag,
including where it is located. Well, and that's already how it is done,
so that's not a real change.

The change here would be to find a tag the describes "parking lane is on
street surface but has its own space/lane". Alex noted that he found
that the "lane" value might have a different meaning already. I'll look
into that and come up with an alternative.

Tobias