[Tagging] coastline v. water

Eric H. Christensen eric at aehe.us
Sat Nov 21 19:09:45 UTC 2020

You cannot point to other area that may, in fact, be improperly mapped as an example when they are like that because locals have been shouted down for doing it correctly. The fact that this keeps coming back up literally means that there is not universal agreement that "marginal seas", whatever that means, are to be mapped with natural=coastline.

The Chesapeake Bay is an estuary that, by definition, opens to the sea. It can't be a sea and open to a sea at the same time. In this environment, it is different from the ocean in which it opens into and is also different from the tributaries that feed it. These are protected waters for ships. You won't find any high seas forecasts for the Bay unlike the ocean. The Bay is also brackish and not defined as salt water, unlike the ocean.

If the rendering engine isn't showing it correctly, fix that; *that's* what's broken.

Eric