[Tagging] Extremely long Amtrak route relations / coastline v. water

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 22 18:34:26 UTC 2020

On 22/11/2020 18:12, Clay Smalley wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM Dave F via Tagging
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>> wrote:
>

>     Contributing to the database (also *volunteers*) are expected to
>     map to a certain standard. There shouldn't be a reason to expect
>     develops not to do the same.
>

> If it's so easy, why don't you write the "few lines of code" necessary
> to fix this issue?
I did. Note the response.
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3102#issuecomment-372455636

>     Desiring relations to list in their entirety is *not* a "0.1%
>     case". Splitting them into 'super relations' should not be the
>     desired, final solution.
>

> Amtrak routes, like many other public transit routes, are already
> split into super-relations (see [1], [2]).

Yes. I've done it myself on UK bicycle routes, but only out of
necessity, due to the software limitation, not, as I stated, from any
desire. It would be much less error prone with tags & ways being added
to the wrong relations.

DaveF