[Tagging] Extremely long Amtrak route relations / coastline v. water

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Nov 22 18:41:58 UTC 2020

Am 22.11.2020 um 17:35 schrieb Brian M. Sperlongano:
> ..
>
> I like the idea of an api limit, though we would need a strategy to
> deal with existing large objects.
> ..

This is, "surprise", not a new topic. There are certain issues with the
semantics of relations which make this slightly more involved as the
maximum node limit on ways.

See

- https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1711

- https://github.com/zerebubuth/openstreetmap-cgimap/pull/174

With the later giving some insights in to why simply declaring a limit
is not a good idea. But putting a bound in place and expecting all tools
to be handle relations up to that size (just as we currently do with
ways) would be a good thing to improve robustness of the whole system.

Simon