[Tagging] Extremely long Amtrak route relations / coastline v. water

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Nov 24 13:18:41 UTC 2020


https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020 would kind of illustrate
what kind of money was requested for OSM-related projects.

Some of that was pure or nearly pure software development, though most of them
are either funded or were a quite poor proposals.

Nov 24, 2020, 12:19 by walker.t.bradley at gmail.com:

> >Why is nothing in that direction in OSM-Carto right now?  Because no one so far has invested the volunteer time to do so an no one has invested the money to pay someone qualified to do so either.  And a large number of people consider the status quo as good enough.  "The good enough is an enemy of the great" is a very common pattern in map style development.
>
> Is there a wiki page with a "wish-list" of things, with approximate costs where developers could post?  There is likely a disconnect between those willing to pay, and those who could actually scrounge up the money.  Thus, once consensus on what changes are needed has been achieved, we can scrounge for money?
>
> Walker KB
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> 
> Sent: Tuesday, 24 November, 2020 11:11
> To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Extremely long Amtrak route relations / coastline v. water
>
>
>
>> Dave F via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> hat am 24.11.2020 01:24 geschrieben:
>>
>> Yes, but the demand was still made &
>>
>
> So what?  Someone (an individual, not 'OSM-Carto' as a whole) made a suggestion (and not a demand) that turned out to not be such a good idea and therefore did not achieve consensus.
>
>> the solution of writing competent
>> code to enable the proposal was never implemented, so your point is?
>>
>
> I am not sure what you mean here.  One of the problem of tagging boundaries on ways and one of the main reason why the idea did not reach consensus is that it does not solve any of the rendering problems w.r.t. boundaries in substance.
>
> Code for processing OSM boundary data for cartographic applications exists.  Not all of it is open source and much of it is just rough implementations not robust enough for routine use.  And there are of course very different cartographic problems to solve w.r.t. boundary rendering.  Why is nothing in that direction in OSM-Carto right now?  Because no one so far has invested the volunteer time to do so an no one has invested the money to pay someone qualified to do so either.  And a large number of people consider the status quo as good enough.  "The good enough is an enemy of the great" is a very common pattern in map style development.
>
> --
> Christoph Hormann
> http://www.imagico.de/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20201124/ffac758b/attachment.htm>


More information about the Tagging mailing list