[Tagging] coastline v. water

Ture PĂ„lsson ture at turepalsson.se
Wed Nov 25 08:21:12 UTC 2020

I mentioned the problem of mapping "fuzzy" areas to a friend, who
replied along the lines of "why, of course such areas should be mapped
as functions, taking a point as input and returning a real between 0
(definitely outside) and 1 (definitely inside)!".

I'd rather not have to implement that, though. =)

(And I agree with Kevin about reconstructing an area from a point +
surrounding coastline. I'd like to see at least an outline of an
algorithm for that! Having said that, I also recognise that
gazillion-point polygons to outline Skagerrak, Kattegatt, the North Sea
and what-have-you may not be the prettiest state of things either...)