[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Hazards

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Fri Nov 27 12:59:51 UTC 2020

På Thu, 26 Nov 2020 09:11:25 -0500

I am missing values for:

horse riding:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_47.png
hazard:animal=horse should only be for wild horses

Crossing bicyclists:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_45.png

Slippery road:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_50.png
How do we map "slippery when wet"? Or ice?

Loose rocks on the road:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_52.PNG

Dangerous road edge:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_54.png

low airplanes and helicopters:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_82.png
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_83.png

Queue risk:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_44.png

Dangerous intersections
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_85.png

"Brian M. Sperlongano" <zelonewolf at gmail.com> skrev:
>I am not opposed to including unsigned hazards, if that's the
>consensus.  I was trying to address anticipated concerns about tagging
>unverifiable things.

It could be verified in other ways. For example official reports based
on statistics. Or newspaper articles on accidents caused by crossing
animals on a certain stretch of road.

> For example, someone in a western country
>tagging a curve hazard on every instance of a bend in the road and not
>just the signed parts.

I agree. In fact there is not much point in tagging even the signed
parts.

The reason for those signs is that the driver cannot see road ahead or
that it is difficult to judge the sharpness from the perspective of a
car.
But with a map it can be done. A data consumer is in a better position
to decide if turns are hazards. When using a navigation system, I can
look at the screen and judge if the next turn could be a problem.

I could also tell my navigation software which vehicle I am driving and
it could use that information together with my current position, my
actual speed and the data on the road ahead to decide if I should be
alerted.

For the same reason there is also no reason to tag signed hazards for:

Tunnels:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_68.png

Steep inclines/declines:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_69.png

level crossing without gates:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_71.png

bridges that open:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_79.png

Quays without guards:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/image.aspx?id=196668&img=CX316_8_80.png

because all those can be inferred from other tags.