[Tagging] Defining amenity=coast_guard

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Nov 30 13:25:11 UTC 2020

I run into https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcoast_guard
and despite that I have basically zero experience with such objects
I am pretty sure that this description (and an old proposal) has a
problematic definition

It was "A building housing the Coast Guard administrative offices"
what seems clearly bad:

- we have building tags for buildings
- this clearly tags coast guard facility (office? station?), not
  building housing it
- this matters for cases like https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1573145
  with more than one building
- what about Coast Guard parts that are not administrative?

Change description to refer to "coast guard base"?
Describe office=government as better for
"Coast Guard administrative offices" and mark it as replaced?
Recommend landuse=military / amenity=police if applicable in
a given country?