[Tagging] Animal trails

s8evq s8evqq at runbox.com
Mon Nov 30 19:41:37 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

With the Belgian community, we have been in contact with Natuurpunt, our main national nature conservation organization. They are slowing using more and more OSM and recently came to us with the following remark.

"Some mappers have added paths that are not actually real paths for humans, but simply flattened walking routes made by the cows. I assume that these are visible on aerial photographs, and in the field they may also look like trails. However, it is really not the intention that people should walk there. They change regularly and we also do not want to put signs 'forbidden entry' all over the area.
We could delete them from OSM, but then of course soon later, an active micromapper might add them again."

Most people seem to think paths made by cattle or wildlife should NOT be mapped at all (https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Pascal%20Cuoq/diary/13333). However, when there are micromappers around, they tend to map ALL THE THINGS. Not mapping these "animal trails" that you know about, means they will likely show up on the map as a simple highway=path, added by somebody else. Therefor, we would prefer to map them with a tag like highway=animal_track, to make sure mappers see that this thing was analyzed before and should NOT be mapped as a regular path. Do you have any suggestions for a tag or a different approach?

Thanks.