[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (shop=direct marketing)

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sat Oct 3 22:41:27 UTC 2020

I'm glad someone mentioned these, they are common and have been here for decades up and down California.  Like food trucks, they come and go with frequent irregularity.  Sometimes they are more-permanent, sometimes they are ephemeral.

> On Oct 3, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
and
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 00:39, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> More important is if there is a sign,
>
> Hand-painted signs saying "Horse manure", "Avo's", "Firewood", "Eggs" & so on good enough?
>
> We see lot's of them whenever we go for a drive in the country, & even the occasional one in town!

especially on higher-speed primary or trunk highways in rural farming country as you'll get one, two or three signs:  "1/2 mile ahead, fresh apples, stone fruits and pies!" with cheerful graphics of cherries and baked goods.  shop=farm_stand, is what I'd like to tag, but I haven't done an OT query or taginfo.  Sometimes it's a pickup truck with fruit boxes or someone out of the trunk (boot) of their car or a "go through the door, can I get you another cup of coffee with that (honey)?" sort of place.

If it's the latter (might be a full-blown "diner" restaurant, sometimes called a "road house") or it might be a simple "get hot water for your tea from the pump thermos, and yes we do serve pie, but only to go" kind of place. Those are different than the sort of transient (maybe there, maybe not) out-of-a-truck or farm wagon kind of thing.  There is also whether the farm is right next to the stand, which is sometimes true but more often not (and it's all-run-together, more permanent).  I agree with Paul that shop=farm fits these, that's how I tagthe ones that are local (iIrc, I haven't been comprehensive in my search).

We have those kinds of places around here with berries in the summer (cute signs say "U-Pick"), squashes in the autumn.  Along rural, farming highways between towns and cities.  They exist.

I would never say direct_marketing about these.  I might say shop=farm_stand if I were being "local vernacular," what we call them here, yet I think the more-permanent-ones-associated-with-the-farm-right-here are shop=farm.  And maybe what kind of fruit, being seasonal if they are and I can.  Drive along the coast between Half Moon Bay and Castroville, you see a dozen or more of these.  I think they (or something very much like) are somewhat frequent in much of rural, populated Earth.

SteveA