[Tagging] Battery swapping spot in a charging station or being an individual tag?

德泉 談 tran0408tran0408t at yahoo.com.tw
Mon Oct 5 16:58:19 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I want to write a new proposal about the battery swapping system for the automotive vehicle. I'm not sure if modifying amenity=charging_station is better or creating a new tag amenity=battery_swapping. I prefer to use amenity=charging_station but found that is not a easy thing to do that.

The background of the proposal is that I have a scooter that I can swap the battery in the convenience stores and the fuel stations. In my country there are two network of battery swapping system: Gogoro Network and iOnex, people can find the battery swapping stations in many place around the city.

This is what a basic battery swapping station look like:
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/PK9WN2/a-battery-swapping-station-for-gogoro-electric-scooters-in-taipei-PK9WN2.jpg

I also read some news that shows that some car producers in China are preparing the battery swapping system for the car, even though I'm not sure whether they will success or not.

There are some possible way to make the amenity=charging_station to involve them:
* Use socket:<type> like socket:gogoro_network and add a battery_swapping=yes
* Use a new tag charging=battery_swapping and keep the newtork=gogoro_network

The later can let it being rendered as individual icon easily maybe a dispenser with a swap arrow but not a dispenser with a charging socket, but the old stations that use the sockets should add a new tag charging=socket to reduce the confusion. Another problem is that if a charging station have both battery swapping and socket ability, then we should make two separated element to do that.

It is hard to consider which is the better way to tag the battery swapping stations. Please leave some comment of your opinion, thanks.

- Tan