[Tagging] railway=station areas

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 08:27:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 at 18:42, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know we have already been discussing this several times in the past, but
> due to recent editing disagreements in the wiki, I am raising it again.
>
> For several years, we had railway=station on a way documented in the wiki
> as the complete area of a train station.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:A-simple-station.svg
>
> This was also discussed in the wiki:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:railway%3Dstation#Station_an_area_.3F
>
> And it is what we do around here locally. It is also what the definition
> of railway=stations says, the tag defines "A railway station".
>
> A fellow editor now insists that this tag should be used on the same area
> as defined for public_transport=station, i.e. the part of the train station
> that is accessible by passengers (platforms and buildings near the
> platforms).
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Railway%3DStation.svg
>
> I am reaching out to the wider community because the user and me could not
> come to an agreement.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:railway%3Dstation&action=history

I agree that for a long time the distinction between railway=station areas
and public_transport=station areas are as you've noted and as the wiki used
to say. I think it makes sense to retain this convention so that the
railway is from the rail network/infrastructure point of view and public
transit from the passenger point of view.

In practice many are mapped as the same area, but that's usually only
because unless you're a train operator it can be hard to actually survey
where the station starts and ends from the train network point of view.