[Tagging] What does bicycle=no on a node means?

OSM osm at bavarianmallet.de
Thu Oct 8 06:10:21 UTC 2020

Am 07.10.2020 um 23:01 schrieb Emvee via Tagging:
> Basic question I think, for a bicycle router bicycle=no on a node
> means it should "avoid" crossing the node likely by adding a moderate
> penalty as the cyclist could make the choice to dismount passing the
> node. I know at least on bicycle router implementing it this way, see
> https://github.com/abrensch/brouter/issues/265

Really just by bicycle=no on a node?
It does not check for barrier=* first?
I think that would be a bad idea.

> Question now is if this rule should be applied differently if it is
> used in combination with highway=crossing.

At least I think so.

> The recent "meaning of highway=crossing + bicycle=no" thread makes the
> case that it means "you cannot use this crossing to cross road while
> cycling, it does not affect legality of cycling on the road"

I think so. The main tag ist highway=crossing.
I see this as common practice (for whom this crossing is meant).

> I think this is a bad idea as that way the access can not be evaluated
> in node context (a router would have to look at the incoming and
> outgoing way) while adding bicycle=yes/no to a crossing node does not
> give "additional possibilities";

You can check the simple node context - as a bicycle=no (should) never
stand alone on a node.

> by giving the right access rights on the ways connecting to the node
> all possible access scenarios can be covered.

That can be a solution for crossings.

Georg