[Tagging] highway=services on bicycle routes?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Oct 9 18:04:05 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 12:38 PM Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> 9 paź 2020, 15:33 od baloo at ursamundi.org:
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 3:06 AM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
> tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> For me it sounds sort-of similar (the same definition, just swap "motor
> vehicle" with "bicycle",
> or use "vehicle" to cover both ) but with drastically different
> functionality.
>
> Similarly like "parking" and "bicycle parking" or "motorway" and
> "cycleway".
>

>  Eeeh, motorway and cycleway make sense because they're definitely two
> fairly different beasts, but for amenities and parking, motor_vehicle=no,
> bicycle=designated seems like a better idea in retrospect.
>
> I guess that it depends on personal
> preferences.
>
> I really dislike need to enter multiple tags
> to specify basic type (yes I like
> highway=bus_stop)

I mean, sure, but it's also not like highway=services are intrinsically and
inherently motorist oriented, either.  Not sure how many don't cater to
motorists, but I don't see a reason to make a tag for the same thing but
doesn't allow motor vehicles...

Presets are your friend to reduce input fatigue.