[Tagging] railway=station areas

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 9 22:35:15 UTC 2020

Apologies for breaking the thread, but I was unable to connect to
Tagging & missed the initial message in my email client.

I'm the user in disagreement. (Although reading the current
railway=station wiki page I'm not convinced there's an genuine
alternative belief).

I believe most of this discussion is moot as the *vast* majority of
railway=stations are mapped as nodes:
      Node    Way     Relation
IT   2878    400     15
DE   4388    39      45
FR   2553    646     14
JP   9063    5       11
US   4140    174     8

I edited a copy of the diagram (A-simple-station.svg) of a station
layout, primarily to remove any references to PTv2 tags, a completely
independent, duplicating tagging schema, irrelevant to anything to do
with the railway=station tag. I also amended the area indicating what
roughly constitutes a 'railway station' according to the wiki. This is
the only page I uploaded the image to. (It's not complete - the creation
of the PNG image removes the angled text I used)

It appears that in 2015 a user took it upon himself to wholesale rewrite
the wiki page, based on discussions in OpenRailwayMap IRC, a small
clique group that keeps no record of any conclusions. If anyone knows if
discussions took place on a major, wider reaching forum, please indicate
them.

Tagging objects should be based on the understanding of what the general
consumer of OSM accept it to be, not just a small group of "rail
enthusiasts" from Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_station -

"It generally consists of at least one track-side platform and a station
building providing such ancillary services as ticket sales, waiting
rooms and baggage/freight service."

@
If you went up to a commuter waiting on the platform & asked 'what
constitutes a railway station' they would give close to the description
above. I *very* much doubt they'd also turn, point & say 'Oh, & also
that one signal. about about 1 km down the track'. Landuse=railway
should be used for railway areas that far away from the station.

Further comments inline:

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 at 18:42, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

 > This was also discussed in the wiki:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:railway%3Dstation#Station_an_area_.3F

That makes no mention of a station's extent.

 > And it is what we do around here locally.

As I've shown, that's not the case, & anyway, OSM is global, not local.

 > It is also what the definition of railway=stations says, the tag
defines "A railway station".

See above at @.

 > A fellow editor now insists that this tag should be used on the same area
 > as defined for public_transport=station, i.e. the part of the train
station
 > that is accessible by passengers (platforms and buildings near the
 > platforms).

 From the wiki "Railway stations are places where customers can access
railway services ". Signals/points are not relevant to customers.

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020  Andrew Harvey wrote:

 >the railway is from the rail network/infrastructure point of view and
public
transit from the passenger point of view.

This seems to be a common misunderstanding by those advocating PTv2.
Railway=station is the original tag for all stations, including
passenger. Introducing a disparate schema at a later date, does not
change the meaning of the original tag.

 > In practice many are mapped as the same area, but that's usually only
because unless you're a train operator it can be hard to actually survey
where the station starts and ends from the train network point of view.

No, it's because the public area is what most people consider to be a
'station'. (& most are mapped as nodes)

Cheers
DaveF