[Tagging] railway=station areas

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 13 15:14:25 UTC 2020

On 11/10/2020 09:25, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> Including all this tracks feels ridiculous to me.

Agreed.
Over the past few years in the UK I've been maintaining/checking the
railway=station tag to ensure there are the correct number.
I've the changed the few that were mapped as areas to nodes & swapped
the areas to railway=landuse. It allows accurate positioning of the label.

---------

After a discussion on Talk-GB I've also amended all railway=halt to
stations.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dhalt
To decide on size is far too arbitrary/subjective for OSM . What makes
on "small"? OSM requires objective tags to describe objects. I've added
request_stop=yes to those that only have stopping trains if flagged down
by a passenger, & looking to add more platform=* tags.  Both help to
accurately describe stations.

DaveF