[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Objects generating audible cues

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:07:12 UTC 2020

A person navigating with a cane can use multiple cues on any given
section, and "hearing a dog" could be one of them. If two houses are
marked at 33% and 66% of a block as having dogs and only one of them
barks at you at a given occasion, you should still be able to
integrate this cue among others because you are counting your steps
and experiencing elapsed time at the same time (along with observing
flower beds, surface texture, rainfall drains, driveways, fence type,
trees, street cabinets and whatnot). The more cues you can lean on the
better.

Also if they navigate using their seeing eye dog, it may also help
them keep good distance from such fences and to not get startled when
the inside and outside dogs start to vocalize with each other. Of
course I've seen many lazy dogs all over the place, but I've seen many
more who aren't provided with enough entertainment so they go an extra
mile to bark at you (while wagging their tails).

Looking at it from a security perspective: it is very common to place
a sign on your fence to the effect of `beware of vicious dog` even
though I have never seen or heard any dog there. It is so common that
I would say no dog was ever found there in 50% of the cases.

According to my mapping experience, dogs live a really long time (and
they even multiply), and having a dog at a house is much much more
stable than some commonly tagged properties. A "dog person" will
usually replace a dog after it dies, hence even if a given dog stays
for 5 years, the "dogness" of a property usually stays until the owner
stays the same. In 99% of the cases, dogs are present for multiple
years, while transport stops, road surfaces, or even geometry of
tracks can change every year.

For those who have no visual impairment at the moment (but this could
change for the worse in the blink of an eye!), it is more desirable to
hike, walk your puppy or push your baby stroller on calmer streets
that have the least amount of barking.