[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Rideshare Access

Clare Corthell clare at lyft.com
Wed Oct 14 20:41:37 UTC 2020

Hi Tagging List,

Here is the RFC for the proposal for rideshare vehicle access:

Proposal:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Rideshare_Access

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Proposed_features/Rideshare_Access

This proposes the addition of rideshare as a use-based access mode for
land-based transportation. This would enable mapping restriction or
permission of rideshare vehicles to nodes and ways. As mentioned in the
proposal example cases
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Rideshare_Access#Case_.231:_Denver_Airport>,
this typically arises in dense traffic patterns such as airport pickup
zones.

This proposal originated from the experience of the Lyft mapping team
seeking to improve the accuracy of routes we build from an OSM-based map.
Because our rideshare operations are North America based, we bring a
perspective that centers the policy for right-of-way in this context. We
would especially appreciate feedback on the applicability of this tagging
to other parts of the world.

Looking forward to your commentary and feedback.

Clare

--
Clare Corthell
Product Manager, Lyft Mapping