[Tagging] Crossing tagged on both way and node (was: What does bicycle=no on a node means?)

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Oct 15 15:36:50 UTC 2020

On 10/13/2020 6:30 PM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2020, 17:41 Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com
> <mailto:voschix at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I changed the crossing to the way we do it in many parts of
>     Europe, i.e. a crossing node _and_ a crossing way. This was
>     described as an option on the highway=crossing wiki page until it
>     was changed on 07:52, 3 October 2020by user Emvee
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Emvee> by addng the
>     diagram and its description.
>     If you don't like it, please change it back - I used it in place
>     of a longish explanation.
>

> Both of those are better, thanks! The routers that I use for testing
> seem to be aware of crossings without crossing nodes, so I too often
> forget to tag them.

I've always been surprised to see a footway=crossing/cycleway=crossing
way with the intersection node tagged as highway=crossing. There's only
a single physical crossing, so this seems contra to the
one-feature-one-element rule.

A highway=crossing node makes sense in an area without mapped
footways/cycleways. But if the crossing ways are mapped, routing
software will need to examine the intersection node and scan the
properties of all highways intersecting there. It seems to make tagging
the node itself redundant.

Are there really routers that require the node be tagged as well?

Jason