[Tagging] What does bicycle=no on a node means?

OSM osm at bavarianmallet.de
Fri Oct 16 05:22:45 UTC 2020

Am 15.10.2020 um 22:18 schrieb Emvee via Tagging:
>> This recent wiki change by Emvee
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Emvee> is in my view not
>> helpful, or even misleading, as it does discourage a wide-spread
>> tagging practice (if we like this or not is a different question, but
>> it's established tagging, and the wiki is supposed to describe the
>> establsihed methods of tagging)
>
> The change describes what a router does with bicycle=no on a node, see
> https://github.com/abrensch/brouter/issues/265
>
> Already discussed elsewhere but having routers ignore bicycle=no in
> combination with highway=crossing means that it is more or less
> useless as routers are they main data consumers while at the same time
> crossing data is far from being complete.
>
> My take is that it is not a wide-spread tagging practice and it does
> not add new information as weather it is a pedestrian issue can be
> deduced from the connecting ways.

We still have the valid mapping practice, that sideways are mapped with
tags at the highway=<street> with no seperately mapped ways.
Therefor we still have highway=crossing nodes _without_ a crossing way.
Some of these still have no bicycle crossing allowed.

How can/should a mapper map this 'new' information now?

http://www.avg.com