[Tagging] Crossing tagged on both way and node (was: What does bicycle=no on a node means?)

Adam Franco adamfranco at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 14:08:41 UTC 2020

As someone who renders a driving-focused map
<https://roadcurvature.com/map/> of [the most twisty] roadways, I
specifically have done exactly what Volker describes (looking at
highway=crossing nodes only).

To provide an example, my renderer walks down each vehicle-legal way and
demotes the curviness weighting for a distance in each direction whenever
it encounters a highway=crossing node on that way (or nodes with
highway=stop, highway=traffic_signals, barrier=traffic_calming, etc). This
particular map doesn't care about the geometry of footways, sidewalks,
paths, or buildings, so it can look at a much reduced data-set of just
vehicle-specific highways. If highway=crossing nodes aren't available and
crossings are only indicated on intersecting ways, then I'd have to add a
preprocessing step to build a list of all nodes that are members of a
highway=crossing way and then add that to the list of nodes tagged with
highway=crossing. I guess it's not an impossible task, but it is much more
simple to just look at nodes that are also members of the
vehicle-accessible highway ways.

I know OsmAnd can be configured to alert drivers of upcoming crossings (and
stop signs), but do not know if that router works only with nodes on the
ways of the current route or also does matching on crossing ways.