[Tagging] What does bicycle=no on a node means?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 05:46:13 UTC 2020

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 09:46, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Generally, I would propose to only tag crossing =* on the crossing node,
> but refrain from access like tags on this node (no bicycle or foot tags).
> The access should be derived from the crossing ways.

This statement is only correct if there are crossing ways using the
crossing node.
However, in practical terms it happens very often that in a first mapping
of a road the foot and/or bicycle crossings, as they are nicely visible on
aerial imaging, ar mapped, but not the crossing foot- and/or cycle-ways,
mainly because the details are not visible on aerial imagery or the mapper
is not interested, at that stage, in foot/cycling details. And the
distinction, at least in Italy, between foot-only and combined foot-cycle
crossing are well visable on satellite imagery. Also traffic-signals are
often clearly visible because of the stop lines. Hence in that first round
it is easy to map crossings and basic crossing types. The crossing way is
then often added later. To me it comes natural not to remove the existing
tagging on a crossing node when I add a crossing  way later.