[Tagging] Crossing tagged on both way and node (was: What does bicycle=no on a node means?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 08:17:06 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 16. Oct 2020, at 09:32, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>
> generally bicycle=dismount should be used instead, reserving bicycle=no for those circumstances where even pushing a bike is not legal (e.g. most public footpaths in England & Wales).

most bicycle=no tags out there actually mean that you cannot ride a bike, not that you cannot have a bike in your pocket or be pushing a bike or carrying a bike in a box or on your shoulders.

I would suggest a different tag than bicycle=no for places where you cannot bring a bicycle, because otherwise you will never know which interpretation of bicycle=no was used by the mapper.

The wiki is unsure about the exact meaning, the bicycle=* page says it is about restrictions for bicycles while the access page (older) says it is about restrictions for cyclists. IMHO the most common interpretation is legality of cycling/riding a bicycle.

Cheers Martin