[Tagging] Proposal to change key:man_made to key:human_made

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Mon Oct 19 21:42:47 UTC 2020

Robert Delmenico:

> I originally put the call out really to gauge if there was much interest in changing
> the term man_made because of its use of 'man', and was interested in hearing the
> thoughts from other mappers as really this proposal isn't just mine. If there was no
> interest I would just abandon it and move on - that's how the system works yeah?
>
> Here's my thoughts based on the feedback received so far
>
> Regardless of the origin of the term, the current use of 'man' is to identify adult
> males.

Not really, and "man_made" does not mean that it was made by males.

> I don't think the use of 'man_made' offends women, but who am I to decide that as I
> am a adult male.

It seems to me that a lot of males like to speak for women on these issues.
Why? Can't they speak for themselves?

> I feel that by using any masculine or feminine terms where a suitable alternative
> exists instills the stereotypes based on these terms.

Marriam-webster:
==
Definition of man-made
: manufactured, created, or constructed by human beings
==

> We don't refer to firefigters as firemen anymore, not do we refer to airline
> attendants as airline hostesses. The world is changing and OSM should adapt to these
> changes if there is enough interest from the OSM community.

As I mentioned in another email, we do use terms such as midwife.

--
Niels Elgaard Larsen