[Tagging] Parking fee only after some time period

Branko Kokanovic branko at kokanovic.org
Tue Oct 20 20:34:42 UTC 2020

Hi all,
There are lot of parking lots on amenities (shopping malls...), where parking is free for customers, but only if you park for less than some specified time amount (let's say 2-3h), imposed by that amenity. After that period, you have to pay[1]. It is widespread where I live, but I would suspect this is not limited to my country only. I searched and didn't found any examples on wiki and taginfo. We discussed this on Telegram channel a bit (thanks Mateusz Konieczny for help!) and we brainstormed a bit and seems that most logical way to put this would be with 1) conditional restriction, 2) keyword "maxstay", already in use for timespans. So, something like:
`fee:conditional=no @ (maxstay < 2h)`
or
`fee:conditional=yes @ (maxstay > 2h)`
(on amenity=parking)

Question is - how should I pursue this forward, since I never did any proposal before? Do "conditional restrictions" also fall under regular proposal process? I guess yes. Maybe I missed something and this already exists? Mateusz started discussion on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Conditional_restrictions#Tagging_free.2Fpaid_parking_depending_on_stay_time, maybe we should just wait on comments there first? Is this "too small" to bypass proposal? I guess answer is "never".

Thanks, Branko

[1]
To cover how this works, in case you didn't had joy of experience to use this - you usually press machine to get ticket upon entrance (or human hand it to you) and ramp opens to enter. When you exit, you present ticket to machine/human and lift gate/ramp opens if you stayed for less than specified amount of time. It will not open if time limit (of how long you stayed parked) is reached and in that case, you have to go back and pay first to some specific place.