[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Artificial

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Wed Oct 21 07:43:13 UTC 2020

(I broke my collarbone, so I'm typing one handed and can mistype)

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, at 9:39 AM, Rory McCann wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, at 6:25 AM, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> > (1) I never understood "man made" as
> > "made by males".
> > (4) I would prefer to not use OSM as a tool
> > to change language, especially if done at
> > cost of making more complicated for
> > mappers. AFAIK term "man made" and it's
> > meaning remains standard and is well
> > understood
> >
> > Disclaimer: not a native speaker.
> > (1) and (4) may be wrong.

It's interesting how non-native speakers of English often speak a
quaint old fashioned version of English. Languages are often chamging
and ir can take a little while for books, courses and teachers to catch up.

So you'll hear non-natives use words like "whom" or using "he" to refer to generic people of any gender. It always sounds old-fashioned. 🙂

OSM prioritizes local knowledge, by the same logic non-native speakers of English should defer to native English speakers for the meaning of words.