[Tagging] Parking fee only after some time period

Branko Kokanovic branko at kokanovic.org
Sat Oct 24 10:08:49 UTC 2020

Overall - it seems that we reached some consensus here and there is no need for proposal, although this thread got lengthy. Please let me know in next couple of days if anyone thinks proposal would be better way.

Jan - I wanted to use "maxstay" as it is more common than "stay" today. But, what you say makes sense (there is rule that tags should somehow map to conditional restrictions), and it can help differentiate with "maxstay" tag (as this is conditional restriction only). I will change my proposal to "stay".

Andrew, I also had StreetComplete in mind. I will ping on GitHub issue (that you mentioned) with reference to this thread, I think this would be great addition to StreetComplete tasks! And expaned to "hours" instead of "h" in examples below too.

I agree with Martin and Andrew about erroring on safe side - at the end of the day, it should not matter for data processors.

Steve, Graeme - I would refrain of "scope creep" and not be involved in /consequences/ of not paying (towing, clamping etc.) here. Not saying this is not important, but this thread should be about "fee" (does this parking wants your money or not, to put it bluntly), not what happens if you don't pay or overstay. Same goes for payment/condition method - disc, gate... It should go into parking:condition.

So, let me try to summarize.
1. If there is fee involved, tag it as:
```
fee=yes
fee:conditional=no @ (stay < 2 hours)`
```

2. If there is no fee involved, just park for free for some amount of time and who-knows-what bad things happen to you after that point:
```
fee=no
maxstay=3 hours
```

Some specific  examples from this thread to see if we cover them all:
1. Shopping mall pays after 3h:
```
amenity=parking
access=customers
fee=yes
fee:conditional=no @ (stay < 2 hours)`
parking:condition=ticket
```

2. Supermarket in US that gives parking for free for 3h (no conditional fee):
```
amenity=parking
access=customers
fee=no
maxstay=3 hours
```

3. Disc in France that let you park for some time (no conditional fee):
```
highway=*
access=yes
fee=no
parking:condition=disc
parking:lane:both=parallel
parking:condition:maxstay=3h
```

I will wait 2 weeks and will ping StreetComplete and adopt wiki to better clarify this conditional.

Thanks, Branko