[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - parking=street_side

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Sat Oct 24 13:32:30 UTC 2020

On 24-10-2020 15:11, Paul Allen wrote:
> As rendered it appears you need a skyhook or
> a cargo helicopter to park.  Not good.  You're probably as unhappy with that
> method of tagging as I am.

True, but the same goes for lots of points-of-interests and other mapped
parts of the urban landscape; e.g., patches of grass, shrubs, benches,
bicycle parking areas, etc. In all these cases mapping the exact area
results in a neat map that makes sense for orientation as well as
finding parking spaces for motorists in the neighbourhood.

While being able to route exactly onto a point-of-interest is valuable
in some cases, for the use case of this proposal I would say that it is
not as relevant. Besides, if someone really wants to navigate to a
specific mapped street-side parking area, their router will tend to
route to the nearest point it can get too, which more often than not
will be right in front of the parking area.

This proposal provides tag-values for a common type of parking area
already mapped in great quantities, and hard to ignore at a certain
level of detail. It gives mappers a way to map them without bending
existing tags (e.g., parking=surface, parking=layby), and it eventually
gives renderers a way to de-emphasize them (the proposal has a few
suggestions) compared with the more 'high-value' parking facilities like
large capacity public parking=surface|multistory|underground.

If applied consistently, this proposal will increase the relevance of
parking areas that really are parking=surface|layby|etc.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Hoek
Co-author of this proposal