[Tagging] Defining the meaning of capacity tag for tourism=camp_site

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Sat Oct 31 16:48:15 UTC 2020

On 31.10.20 14:40, Sven Geggus wrote:

> We are already using plural when tagging caravans=yes/no and tents=yes/no.
>
> Thus I would not suggents to tag this singular in case of capacity.
>
> Looking at the current state of tagging in taginfo we have:
>
> capacity:caravans 65
> capacity:caravan 4
> capacity:tents 241
> capacity:tent 0

> Thus I do not see a real argument for using singular here.

To complete this list:
capacity:motorhome  32
capacity:motorhomes 0

The thing about caravan and caravans is a mess. Both keys actually exist...
- 'caravan' refers to the vehicle in form of a trailer and whether it is
allowed to access some highway / area
- 'caravans' refers to either trailers or full motorhomes and only
applies to camp_sites.

So, capacity:caravan should be used on parking lots that have spaces for
cars with trailers, while capacity:caravans should be used on camp_sites
that accomodate either caravan trailers or motorhomes, but there is no
distinction possible between both kinds of vehicles.

As a result this is a fully valid tagging:

amenity = camp_site
caravan = no
capacity:caravans = 10

That would be a camp site you can enter with a motorhome, but not with a
trailer.