[Tagging] .Re: tagging drinking water of unclear official (signed)

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 11:52:33 UTC 2020

I'm not arguing against "drinking water", just against "portable water" (water that can be carried)
Peter

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 at 11:42, Martin Koppenhoefer<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

sent from a phone

On 7. Sep 2020, at 07:55, Peter Neale via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

I dont know about the USA, but in British English, "portable" means that it can be carried.
If you can drink it, it is "potable".

we‘ve had this discussion 10 years ago and the decision was for drinking_water=*
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=drinking_water
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=drink
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=potable
There’s no benefit from changing established tagging, and there were reasons for choosing drinking water rather than potable water.
Cheers Martin