[Tagging] Documenting historic=anchor to the historic wiki page

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 21:50:22 UTC 2020

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 at 22:37, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 7. Sep 2020, at 23:23, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > To say that something is historic means that it is important or
> significant
> > in history.
>
> importance and significance are quite relative and I have the impression
> you are imagining the bar much higher than what we usually apply for
> historic.

I'm trying to avoid people using historic as a synonym for "old" or for
"disused."
There's more to it than that.  Or should be.

Take two, adjacent terraced houses, identical in appearance because they
were constructed at the same time by the same builder to the same plans.
One has a plaque saying it is the birthplace of some important figure.
The plaque is a historic memorial, the house it is attached to is just a
house (as is the house next door).

>   An anchor or cannon which have nothing special about them and
> > are not commemorating something of historical significance are just
> > artwork.
>
> a cannon which is still in the context where it was once used can always
> be seen as historic,

Yes.  But the original poster was talking about anchors.  Anchors that were
not attached to ships, or the historical object would be the ship itself.

> it doesn’t need to be important or of exceptional significance (e.g. by
> having a plaque attached, being dedicated to something/someone, having
> appeared in a historic text, having belonged to someone famous/powerful,
> etc.).

For a cannon, MAYBE.  Often not.  Like the anonymous cannons on the lawns
of US courthouses that could have come from anywhere.  Or be modern
reproductions.

"History" means that it has been recorded in writing.  That's why the time
before
writing was invented is known as "pre-history."  If there is no written
record of its
provenance and significance then it is NOT historic, just old.

--
Paul