[Tagging] Documenting historic=anchor to the historic wiki page

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 22:03:44 UTC 2020

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 at 22:41, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 7. Sep 2020, at 23:29, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It's a memorial or it's not.  If it's not a memorial, and there just
> because it looks
> > nice (somebody else brought up that possibility, not me) it's artwork.
>
> I don’t find a definition of art, work of art, where something like an
> anchor without a story has room. Can you point me to one?

It's late, and I'm having difficulty understanding what you're getting at.
So
I've had to guess.

The original poster asked about an anchor that was put in place because it
looked nice, not because it had any historical significance.  I have no idea
if there are any anchors like that, but I've seen all sorts of things (like
chimney pots) placed on the ground for display because they look nice,
so anchors are a possibility.

If it's there solely because it looks nice, the only way I can think of
mapping
it is artwork.  If it's not specially crafted to be displayed then it's not
a sculpture (I'm aware of something specially crafted to look like three
links in a ship's chain so that actually is a sculpture) or an
installation. The
closest type of artwork I can think of to describe a repurposed anchor is
"found art" (also known as "found object" and "objet trouvé").
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_object  Maybe somebody who
is actually an artist (I'm not) has a better term for "anchor
on display for no other purpose than that it looks nice."

--
Paul