[Tagging] Fwd: Documenting historic=anchor to the historic wiki page

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 12:11:29 UTC 2020

This is getting very metaphysical, and tags have been invented to be as
practical as possible for the mapper [1]. If someone sees an old anchor on
the ground, one of the first things that's going to pop into their mind is
historic=anchor. That has happened 40 times, separately by several mappers
all over the world (including me). I just wanted to document this tagging
because it made sense to me.

Historic=memorial + memorial=anchor has been used 20 times, but my tagging
instinct said that maybe it's better to have a use case for anchors that
are not memorials. If people think memorial=anchor is better, that's ok
with me. But i'm not ok with creating a complicated ontology with
tourism=artwork because no one will naturally come to that tag while on the
field. Flowerbeds and fountains are also made just to be nice, but it's not
tagged as artwork, because it doesn't look like artwork, and doesn't quack
like artwork.

Janko

[1] - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Duck_tagging