[Tagging] Tagging for board games themed pubs

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 18:38:59 UTC 2020

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 19:09, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Themed implies that is the raison d'etre for the pubs existance and you
> would only go there to play board games, which would attract a very limited
> clientel.
>
> +1, this is also my interpretation.

Not my interpretation of "theme."  Most pubs I've been in, themes have
been about decor.  Like the pub named "Walpurgisnacht" and decorated
accordingly, but there were no battles against witchcraft there.  Like
the pub with many shelves of books, which nobody read.  Like
the pub with a fake tree built into a corner.  Like the pub called The
Buccaneer, decked out [pun intended] as a sailing ship, but there
were no acts of piracy.

"Theme" is the wrong word to use.  A pub with many pool tables
is not themed around playing pool.  A pub with many dart boards
for practise by its darts team is not themed around darts.  Right
now I can't think of a good word for a pub specializing in a
particular interest (many pool tables rather than just one), but
"theme" isn't it,

--
Paul